Eindhoven swede asking for help

Welke produkten zijn al dan niet veganistisch? Zijn er alternatieven?

Moderators: Morality, Martine, Rorrim

Plaats reactie
mondibori
Leefwijze: part-time veganist

Eindhoven swede asking for help

Bericht door mondibori » ma sep 07, 2015 23:17

Hello
I am a Swedish student who just moved to Eindhoven and is in the phase of becoming a vegan. I have tried google search of where to get my vegan goodies around Eindhoven, but since I don't speak dutch my hope now lies in you guys. So please hit me up with your best tips for the Eindhoven vegan lifestyle! Especially I am looking for the towns best prices for meat substitutes such as minced soy"meat", tofu, vegan "meatballs" and qourn, but also dried lentils and beans!

Benno
Leefwijze: veganist

Re: Eindhoven swede asking for help

Bericht door Benno » di sep 08, 2015 6:34

Hi,

Did you try the Happycow website?
Unfortunately The Netherlands is not a good country for vegans :(

We are just back from Berlin and we are already missing all the vegan places they have.

Good luck with your search :-D
De wereld biedt genoeg voor ieders behoefte, maar niet voor ieders begeerte.

Martine

Bericht door Martine » di sep 08, 2015 10:56

I don't know specifically about Eindhoven, but I do have a website with reviews of alle kinds of vegan products. It's in Dutch, but Google translate can help you figure it out. At the bottom of every review, there is information about the price and where the product is sold.

Here are the meat substitutes: https://gewoonvegan.nl/category/vleesch/
And here is a page where you can see product overviews for a specific store: https://gewoonvegan.nl/extra-informatie/winkels/

Unfortunately, all Quorn products sold in the Netherlands contain a small amount of egg, so they are not vegan.

For cheap beans, visit Turkish or Asian ethnic stores. They usually have dried beans between 2 and 3 euros for a kilo. Asian stores often also have dry soy crumbles that you can use to make your own really cheap mince meat. The cheapest ready-made soy mince meat can be found at Aldi and Lidl.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or problems.
Kom eens kijken op Vegetus en Gewoon Vegan!

Marianne
Leefwijze: veganist

Bericht door Marianne » di sep 08, 2015 11:16

You'll find all the stores you need in the "Kruisstraat" and the "Woenselse Markt".
There are several Turkish (Bahar Supermarkt, Diyar supermarkt) and Asian (Sang Lee, Chin's winkel, Sri-Ganesh) stores, as well as Ekoplaza, and Lidl.

mondibori

Bericht door mondibori » vr sep 11, 2015 10:40

Thank you everyone! This was super helpful, and I have already found some good shops! Now I am also curious about what you think is the best "substitute" for butter to have on the sandwhich. I have tried one of Becels products and would like to have something more tasty and salty. Creative ideas are welcome!
Also, is it possible to buy havermelk/cream in Netherlands? Because at my Albert Heijns I could only find almond,rice and soy.
At last, vegan cheese is probably to expensive to eat all the time but for special occations: is Ekoplaza the place to get it from?
Many thanks
Molly

Martine

Bericht door Martine » vr sep 11, 2015 15:06

Tasty margerine is difficult. The only completely vegan brand in the supermarkets is Alpro (Becel etc. unfortunately contain vitamin D3 from sheep's wool fat). If you don't like Alpro, you could try some health food store brands such as Provamel and Healthy planet.

If you really value the taste, making your own might be the best option: http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats ... gan-butter

There are options for oatmilk. You can certainly find it at health food stores, and Jumbo stocks Oatly. Some Albert Heijn's have this one: http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi16 ... haverdrank

Oat cream you might also find at Jumbo, perhaps in the section with the organic 'Zonnatura' products (https://zonnatura.nl/producten/haver-om-mee-te-koken/), or at a health food store.

mondibori

Bericht door mondibori » za sep 12, 2015 14:39

Many thanks Martine! I really want to become a fulltime vegan and this helps a lot!

Martine

Bericht door Martine » za sep 12, 2015 19:22

You're welcome! :-D

:govegan:

Plaats reactie