raw food

Alles over gezondheid en veganisme. Over vitamines en mineralen. Over afvallen en aankomen.

Moderators: Martine, Rorrim

Plaats reactie
Wen

raw food

Bericht door Wen »

http://veganhealth.org/articles/cooking" target="_blank

Raw Food Vegan Diets

(Last updated July, 2010.)

Contents

* Introduction
* I was a Twenty-Something Raw Foodist
* History of Cooking Foods
* Is Cooked Food Toxic?
* Enzymes
* Is Raw Foodism Healthy?
* Inconveniences of Being Raw
* Orthorexia
* Conclusion
* BeyondVeg.com
* References

Introduction

Raw foodism is the philosophy that most or all of one's diet should be uncooked foods. Raw foods diets are usually vegan and vegan raw foodism will be the focus of this article. As I understand it, the trend in raw foodist circles in recent years has been to emphasize eating at least 80% of your food (by volume) as raw, rather than 100%.

A quick note for animal advocates: Many of us do not want vegan diets associated with raw foodism because one of the main points we are trying to make to the public is that you do not have to eat "rabbit food" to be a vegan. Others think that the health benefits to eating raw foods diets are so great that they are enough to counteract the concern that they could make a vegan diet appear uninteresting and unsatisfying.

I was a Twenty-Something Raw Foodist

In 1993, I became interested in raw foodism. I had been getting cavities in my teeth fairly regularly for the previous few years and one of my co-workers at a natural foods cooperative distribution warehouse told me it was due to eating my food in an unnatural state. He said that wild animals do not cook their food and they don't get cavities.

At about the same time, I met a couple who were gung-ho into raw foods and they introduced me to a lot of literature and gave me moral support. They, like me, were animal advocates, and were also quite vibrant and active, so they served as enticing role models.

From the fall of 1993 until 1995 I ate about 90% of my foods raw. I also read any and every book and article on raw foodism that I could get my hands on. They contained story after story of people curing their heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and other diseases through raw foods.

The diet simply made sense. Since humans are the only animals who cook their food, we'd have to be better off eating a more natural diet of raw foods...wouldn't we?

It didn't go so well. I had low body fat to begin with, and on the raw foods diet my weight dropped from 138 to 128 lbs. As a regular weightlifter, I noticed my strength decline considerably. I got frequent colds (some say this is the body detoxifying; a more likely explanation is that I wasn't eating enough protein to ward of infections). I constantly thought about how much I wanted to eat cooked food. The couple who mentored me were also struggling with the diet.

One day, I had to admit that it wasn't working. I slowly weaned myself back onto cooked foods to curb my cravings. Though I tried to resist, my diet became more cooked all the time. One day in 1997, I decided to follow my cravings and eat as much cooked food as I wanted. Since then I've eaten most of my food cooked and have felt much better.

The experience turned me to science, relying more on published scientific research and much less on popular theories and anecdotal reports. As I read more mainstream nutrition science, it became clear that many of the claims made by raw foodists were not true.

History of Cooking Foods

Some raw foodists say that humans have only cooked food for a relatively short period of our history. In their 2003 article, Cooking as a Biological Trait, Harvard University anthropologists Richard Wrangham and Nancy Lou Conklin-Brittain cite research that indicates, in their words, "Cooking is therefore widely accepted back to at least 250,000 years ago." (3) Some evidence points to 1.6 million years ago. They also argue that it takes only 5,000 years or less for the human body to adapt to different methods of eating. The implication is that humans have been cooking long enough to have adapted to a diet of cooked foods. This could explain why many people who try raw foodism fail to thrive.

Richard Wrangham's theory that cooking food is what allowed early ancestors of humans to grow large brains is discussed in the June 15, 2007 issue of Science (Food for Thought: Did the first cooked meals help fuel the dramatic evolutionary expansion of the human brain?). By cooking food, we were able to make it more digestible (by breaking down plant fiber and muscle tissue) and therefore eat more calories with less digestive effort, resulting in a smaller digestive tract and more energy for developing our brains.

A 2010 article Chew on this: thank cooking for your big brain, also discusses Wrangham's work. They suggest that the smaller molar teeth in Homo erectus and Homo sapiens might be a result of cooking food.

Is Cooked Food Toxic?

Some raw foodists claim that cooked food is toxic or poisonous. A good article examining this question is, Is Cooked Food Poison?, by Jean-Louis Tu, which concludes:

Cooking creates some toxins, neutralizes others. All plants contain at least some amount of "nature's pesticides." There is no such thing as a toxin-free diet. Within a normal range of consumption, toxins resulting from conservative cooking techniques can be safely handled by the body's normal mechanisms, and do not seem to increase the incidence of degenerative diseases.

Cooking has both negative and positive effects. Cooking, especially for long periods, can damage some vitamins. Boiling and steaming causes some vitamins and minerals to seep out of the food. Chemicals thought to cause cancer are formed when food is burned or oils are heated above the point at which they smoke. Deep-frying foods causes trans fats to form.

On the plus side, cooking can break down food components that would otherwise bind minerals and prevent their absorption. It can soften fiber, which allows more food to be eaten. Cooking liberates some nutrients, such as beta-carotene and other antioxidants, for easier absorption. It denatures proteins, essentially flattening them out, which can aid digestion. Cooking destabilizes toxic components of some foods, such as goiter-promoting properties of broccoli. It makes many foods more edible.

While fiber is a good thing, and most Americans should eat more of it, some vegan diets can be too high in fiber. Fiber provides very little energy while filling you up, and vegans with high energy needs might benefit from having a high percentage of cooked foods. On the other hand, people who want to lose weight could help themselves by increasing their intake of high-fiber, raw foods.

Enzymes

Digestive enzymes aid in breaking the molecular bonds in food. Some raw foodists say that eating raw foods will extend lifespan because raw foods contain digestive enzymes that digest the food and prevent the body from using energy to create its own digestive enzymes. Some say that the body has a limited capacity to produce enzymes and once that capacity has been used up, you will die.

Stomach acid destroys most of the enzymes in raw food before it can do much to digest the food. Because they have such a small effect on digestion, I am skeptical that enzymes from raw foods do much to increase longevity. For more details about enzymes and raw foods, see Do "Food Enzymes" Significantly Enhance Digestive Efficiency and Longevity?.

Rather than saying people will die from a lack of digestive enzymes, it's probably more accurate to say that their ability to digest food will diminish over time as their ability to produce digestive enzymes decreases. At the link in the paragraph above, the author mentions that there are other physiological processes that have more to do with the body aging than a lack of enzyme production.

In any case, I eventually decided that I felt too famished on a raw foods diet to want to prolong such a life any longer than I absolutely had to.

Is Raw Foodism Healthy?

Not much research has looked at what proportion of raw foods will prevent the most disease, and there have been no studies measuring the disease rates of raw foodists.

Many people who try raw foods diets, such as myself, fail to thrive. Some long time raw foodists look terribly guant, in my opinion, while others appear much healthier, such as bodybuilder Giacomo Marchese.

At least one person has told me that she didn't feel well as a vegan until she made her diet a high percentage of raw foods. How one feels is certainly an important consideration in deciding what diet to follow, but even if someone feels great, there are some long-term nutrition concerns about vegan raw foods diets.

Vegan raw foodists should pay attention to the recommendations for all vegan diets, which are summarized in the table, Daily Recommendations for Vegan Adults.

Raw foodists should make sure they get enough vitamin B12, and not rely on natural sources such as seaweed or fermented foods. Studies showing raw foodists to have poor vitamin B12 status can be read about in the section Raw Foodist Vegans of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It?.

My main concern about raw foods diets is regarding bone health. The most important study to date on vegan bone health found vegans to have a higher rate of fracture if they did not consume at least 525 mg of calcium per day (see here). I highly recommend that vegans, including raw foodists, get at least 700 mg of calcium per day (the DRI is 1,000 mg for adults under 50; 1,300 mg for adults older than 50). In a 2005 study, raw foodists were eating an average of 579 mg of calcium per day and they had a lower average bone mineral density than a control group of non-vegetarians (2).

In addition to calcium intake possibly being an issue for bones, raw foodist women often have such low body fat that they do not produce enough estrogen to continue menstruating, a condition associated with poor bone health. A 1999 study showed that 30% of raw foodist women in their study had partial to complete amenorrhea (1). Raw foodist women should make sure they are eating enough calories to prevent amenorrhea.

Protein might be an issue for many raw foodists. The amino acid lysine is quite limited in plant foods other than legumes and legumes are generally not eaten in large amounts in raw foods diets. The idea that protein is important is often scoffed at in vegan and raw foodist circles, but long-term, mild protein deficiency could have an impact on bones and possibly other important tissues. If you are a raw foods vegan who eats less than 100% raw foods, you might want to include ample amounts of legumes as your cooked food.

Finally, the reason I originally became interested in raw foodism, to prevent cavities, turned out to be without much merit - a 1999 study found that raw foodists had significantly more dental erosions than did a control group (4). By not eating extreme amounts of dried or citrus fruit, and paying careful attention to dental hygiene, this problem could possibly be prevented.

Inconveniences of Being Raw

A raw foods diet can cause problems for relationships when you cannot eat similar food to those around you. Of course, a vegan diet can also do this, but I think these inconveniences to non-vegan family and friends are justified due to the suffering and deaths of the animals involved. In the case of the dubious health benefits of eating raw, the imposition is less understandable.

The most extreme example from my own history was the Christmas when I was eating only mono meals and had only a few tomatoes for Christmas dinner. My family survived but it is not one of my proudest moments.

Of course, I could have provided some extravagantly prepared raw food dishes for everyone to enjoy, rather than just sitting there with my plate of tomatoes. At the time, I thought not eating just mono meals could somehow compromise my health.

Which brings me to my next topic...

Orthorexia

Orthorexia is a concern for people who consider cooked and/or processed foods to be toxic. Orthorexia is a term coined by Steven Bratman, MD, to describe an eating disorder characterized by excessive focus on eating healthy foods. In rare cases, it can lead to severe malnutrition or even death. Here are two clips from a 20/20 story on orthorexia that I recommend for anyone considering raw foodism or even a 100% whole foods diet.

Part 1
Part 2

Conclusion

In summary, fresh fruits and vegetables should be eaten regularly. I would suggest a few servings of raw foods a day. Beyond that, if you feel like eating most of your foods raw then make sure you pay attention to the concerns listed above. If you only feel satisfied if you eat mostly cooked foods at each meal, then please do so -- without guilt.

BeyondVeg.com

For more information, BeyondVeg.com (a site providing a critique of raw food vegan dogma) has created a list of peer-reviewed studies and abstracts about raw foods diets.

I link to BeyondVeg.com because it contains some of the best articles on raw foods diets and comparative anatomy and physiology. Tom Billings, one of the site owners, is a longtime vegetarian and personal friend. He has provided considerable research assistance to me, and we share a concern for going beyond dietary dogma.

References

1. Koebnick C, Strassner C, Hoffmann I, Leitzmann C. Consequences of a long-term raw food diet on body weight and menstruation: results of a questionnaire survey. Ann Nutr Metab. 1999;43(2):69-79. PubMed PMID: 10436305. (Abstract)

2. Fontana L, Shew JL, Holloszy JO, Villareal DT. Low bone mass in subjects on a long-term raw vegetarian diet. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Mar 28;165(6):684-9. PubMed PMID: 15795346.

3. Wrangham R, Conklin-Brittain N. Cooking as a biological trait. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2003 Sep;136(1):35-46. Review. PubMed PMID: 14527628.

4. Ganss C, Schlechtriemen M, Klimek J. Dental erosions in subjects living on a raw food diet. Caries Res. 1999;33(1):74-80. PubMed PMID: 9831783. (Abstract)
Laatst gewijzigd door Wen op zo aug 08, 2010 14:26, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

rik23
Leefwijze: veganist

Re: raw food

Bericht door rik23 »

dat dieren hun voedsel niet koken vind ik niet echt een reden dat mensen dat ook niet zouden moeten. dieren hebben nou eenmaal geen handen op een pan vast te houden en ze hebben sterkere ingewanden zodat ze geen speciaal veredelde planten hoeven te telen.

ik zie niet echt in wat er minder gezond is met peulvruchten, aardappels en granen zou zijn.
en ik lust wel een bakje stoofperen.

dat de srijf(st)er 5 lbs afviel tijdens het rauw voedseldieet geloof ik best, het mat dan wel weel vitamine,s en mineralen bevatten maar langdurig de buik vullen doet het niet daardoor is het een prima afval dieet lijkt me....

Jasmijn

Bericht door Jasmijn »

vegalan

Bericht door vegalan »

Ik vind dat het kind (in het filmpje) voor zichzelf (binnen het sociale tolerantie kader) moet kunnen kiezen wat het wel en niet zou willen eten. Ik weet niet in hoeverre raw food daar een dogma is?

Liadan

Bericht door Liadan »

Als je op een tropisch eiland o.i.d. zou wonen, zou je makkelijk alles rauw kunnen eten. Maar in een land als Nederland lijkt me nogal moeilijk, vooral in de winter. Ik moet er niet aan denken als het -10 is om alleen maar alles koud te eten.

Die film over die vrouw en haar zoontje die rauw eten vind ik best wel ernstig, wat ze tegen haar zoontje zegt over eten klopt helemaal niet. En ze ziet er zelf ook niet echt gezond uit. Ik vind het sneu als een kind op zo'n jonge leeftijd al zo moet nadenken over wat wel en niet 'gezond' is om te eten.

Fynnya
Leefwijze: part-time veganist

Bericht door Fynnya »

Liadan schreef:Als je op een tropisch eiland o.i.d. zou wonen, zou je makkelijk alles rauw kunnen eten. Maar in een land als Nederland lijkt me nogal moeilijk, vooral in de winter. Ik moet er niet aan denken als het -10 is om alleen maar alles koud te eten.
Het hoeft niet per se koud, je kan het volgens de meeste raw theorieën wel opwarmen, maar alleen tot een bepaalde temperatuur, omdat het dan nog niet schadelijk is. Ik geloof dat 37 graden vaak als grens wordt genomen.
En je kan ook gewoon heet water drinken of thee, het is niet dat je niks heets binnen mag krijgen, het gaat erom dat verhit voedsel/drank volgens hen geen/weinig nuttige stoffen meer bevat, dus dat het zonde is van je voedsel. Maar als je iets drinkt voor de warmte en niet voor de voedingsstoffen, is dat volgens mij niet tegenstrijdig met raw food.

Maar verder heb ik het zelf ook hoor, ik vind in de zomer raw food makkelijker dan in de winter.

Jasmijn

Bericht door Jasmijn »

Die vrouw en haar zoontje zien er toch best gezond uit?
Enfin, ik vond die meneer heel akelig doen. ´Ik heb even een namiddag zitten bellen, dus ik weet waar ik het over heb.´ Jaja. Had wel willen weten wat die mensen wél eten. Het hoeft helemaal niet ongezond te zijn. Vond dat die vrouw het goed deed.

Wen

Bericht door Wen »

Quasivegan heeft een zeer goede blog vind ik.
Goed over nagedacht en haar statements zijn goed gefundeerd. Ik vond verschillende artikels heel leerrijk.
Elk dieet heeft zijn voor- en nadelen en ze zoekt manieren om de nadelen van een vegan dieet op te lossen.
Ze heeft ook wel wat research gedaan over raw food en je kan er op haar blog meer over lezen:

http://quasi-vegan.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... ch-results

Exposing the Lies of the Raw Vegan Diet and Hypocrisy. Dangers of the Raw Vegan Diet from a Vegan who's sick of the lying
http://www.shazzie.com/life/articles/ra ... dren.shtml

These are some excerpts from that page, you must visit it.

This is written by:

Shazzie is the UK's most prolific and popular raw food writer, speaker and chef. She's written four books, two ebooks, published around 500 raw food recipes and is the Managing Director of Detox Your World (Rawcreation Ltd). She is regularly interviewed and quoted in the media on raw food, natural parenting and holistic living. Shazzie lives in Cambridge with her four year old raw daughter Evie.

However, all the while I was researching this information, I saw huge amounts of misinformation being fed to the raw food community. I also saw children with very damaged teeth, stunted growth and developmental problems.

Worryingly, the children of some of those who actively promoted raw food had experienced the worst symptoms. If these children were put on a raw or cooked vegetarian (not vegan) diet, and were given supplements, they caught up. Those who are still raw vegan are still experiencing development and growth issues.

I was most concerned that these "raw food promoters" never, not once publicly stated what had happened to their children. In fact, when other raw parents were having issues with the development of their children, these very same raw food promoters and coaches told them to keep on doing what they were doing. This caused the raw food community to remain oblivious to the dangers of raising children raw.

and

Take these examples:

One mother experienced severe growth defects in her children on the raw vegan unsupplemented diet and resorted to feeding them large quantities of dairy and meat. She has since stood shoulder to shoulder with the other raw vegan dogmatists and writes on raw food forums pretending to be someone else! She says that she has been successful in raising her children raw vegan, yet she clearly hasn't.

The raw vegan child who was severely behind his development schedule and had flourosis. His mother, a "raw food coach" altered his diet (to cooked vegetarian plus supplements, plus some fish in the early days) and he eventually he began to sit, crawl and catch up. Even after this harrowing experience, this coach continued to tell mothers of children that weren't thriving on the raw vegan diet that raw vegan is OK, and to eat more fruit. She has never made a public statement about this experience and continues to be vague about what makes a healthy raw food diet for adults and children.

The raw vegan family in the USA who have several children. The last child wasn't even sitting up by the age of two. All the children are extremely thin and "bird like".

The raw vegan fruit promoter who says all non-vegan children are too tall and so vegan children are supposed to be small.
The tiny raw girl on YouTube who has hardly any top teeth due to visible decay.

lena

Bericht door lena »

Ik heb de blog niet gelezen, maar wat je hier citeert zie ik wel vaker in dit soort discussies. Ik vind het heel belangrijk om een onderscheid te maken tussen ongesupplementeerd raw vegan, en raw vegan in het algemeen. Nogal wat raw-fooders nemen blijkbaar geen supplementen, en natuurlijk hebben alle veganistische kinderen B12 nodig, en alle kinderen in het algemeen vitamine D (in Nederland krijgen kinderen tot 4 jaar vitamine D druppels). Veel raw-food aanhangers vermijden ook fluoridetandpasta, wat bij kinderen ook voor een slecht gebit zou kunnen zorgen. Wat mij betreft zeggen conclusies van mensen die alle supplementen vermijden niet zoveel over de gezondheid van een (rauw)-veganistisch dieet op zich (niet dat ik een raw dieet aan zou raden - maar dat is een andere discussie)

Liadan

Bericht door Liadan »

Fynnya schreef:
Liadan schreef: En je kan ook gewoon heet water drinken of thee, het is niet dat je niks heets binnen mag krijgen, het gaat erom dat verhit voedsel/drank volgens hen geen/weinig nuttige stoffen meer bevat, dus dat het zonde is van je voedsel. Maar als je iets drinkt voor de warmte en niet voor de voedingsstoffen, is dat volgens mij niet tegenstrijdig met raw food.
Nouja de jongen uit de docu drinkt dus ook geen thee.
Oei ik kan me geen leven voorstellen zonder koffie en thee! [/addict]

Sybine
Leefwijze: flexanist

Bericht door Sybine »

Hier een ander filmpje over Tom en raw food.
Hier komt hij volgens mij beter uit de verf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkAsjtbZDc

Jasmijn

Bericht door Jasmijn »

Wat een cute kinders!
Vraag me af wat ze zitten te eten. Wat zou er nou in dat schaaltje zitten...

Jasmijn

Bericht door Jasmijn »

Maar 5 pillen op 1 dag... Dat lijkt me nou niet zo geweldig. Is toch niet nodig?

Truus

Bericht door Truus »

lena schreef:Veel raw-food aanhangers vermijden ook fluoridetandpasta, wat bij kinderen ook voor een slecht gebit zou kunnen zorgen.
Mijn kinderen kregen niet uitsluitend rauw voedsel, maar ook geen fluoridetandpasta (of tabletten of spoeling of andere vorm). Ze hebben geen van allen gaatjes.

Fynnya
Leefwijze: part-time veganist

Bericht door Fynnya »

Het probleem bij het bespreken van vegan raw food, is dat de verschillende stromingen binnen de vegan raw food nauwelijks met elkaar te vergelijken zijn. Er zijn stromingen waarbij men uitgaat van voedingsstoffen en dus ook verstandig supplementeert (B12 bijvoorbeeld) en veel gekiemde en geweekte producten gebruikt, en stromingen waarbij men uitgaat van dat we moeten eten wat apen eten, en dus absoluut geen kiemen en supplementen enzo gebruikt. De voedingsstoffen die beide groepen binnenkrijgen zijn totáál niet vergelijkbaar.
Nou heb je dat probleem natuurlijk altijd wel een beetje (alle veganisten eten ook echt niet dezelfde soort dingen, of alle vegetariërs, of alle vleeseters), maar hierbij maakt het wel érg veel verschil.

Tandproblemen worden vaak genoemd bij raw food, ik begreep uit het boek Becoming Raw dat dit vooral (of alleen?) is bij raw foodies uit één bepaalde stroming, waarbij ze gemiddeld 5 of meer porties citrusvruchten eten per dag. Raw foodies die niet zo overdreven veel (citrus)fruit eten, hebben een véél kleinere kans op gebitsproblemen. Maar als de media dat er niet bijzetten, kan je makkelijk de verkeerde indruk krijgen.

Truus

Bericht door Truus »

Fynnya schreef:Er zijn stromingen waarbij men uitgaat van voedingsstoffen en dus ook verstandig supplementeert (B12 bijvoorbeeld)
Een dergelijk vooringenomenheid ben ik op dit forum niet gewend. Immers, je impliceert dat wie niet supplementeert onverstandig is. We kunnen van mening verschillen zonder dergelijke insinuaties.

Liadan

Bericht door Liadan »

Fynnya schreef: waarbij ze gemiddeld 5 of meer porties citrusvruchten eten per dag.
Pff wat veel. :shock:

Wen

Bericht door Wen »

Fynnya schreef:Er zijn stromingen waarbij men uitgaat van voedingsstoffen en dus ook verstandig supplementeert (B12 bijvoorbeeld)

Een dergelijk vooringenomenheid ben ik op dit forum niet gewend. Immers, je impliceert dat wie niet supplementeert onverstandig is
Het is zelfs gevaarlijk en het zet de kinderen hun gezondheid op het spel! Vegan kinderen geen B12 geven vind ik onverantwoord. Er is onderzoek naar gedaan en dat lijkt me toch wel duidelijk...

Annikka-Ayla
Leefwijze: flexanist

Bericht door Annikka-Ayla »

Ik heb een tijdje grotendeels rauw gegeten en ik voelde me er super bij. Logisch achteraf, want ik kreeg toen nauwelijks gluten binnen.
Bij wat kouder weer vind ik rauw eten helemaal niet prettig. Ik denk dat je fysiek behoorlijk sterk moet zijn om met koud weer toch gezond te zijn en goed te kunnen functioneren.

Truus

Bericht door Truus »

Liadan schreef:Pff wat veel. :shock:
Ik vind het niet zo veel. Toen ik in een citrusboomgaard woonde en werkte consumeerde ik meerdere kilo's per dag. Het was daar warm, dus het was voor mij niet alleen voedsel maar ook vocht. Nog steeds kan ik makkelijk 10+ grapefruits op een dag eten wanneer ik die toevallig in huis heb. Ik kan nu eenmaal veel eten! Omdat ik liever groenten en fruit kies dat niet van zo ver hoeft te komen eet ik in NL minder citrus.
Wen schreef:Het is zelfs gevaarlijk en het zet de kinderen hun gezondheid op het spel!
Mijn kinderen zijn inmiddels allemaal volwassen en prima gezond. Het is niet mijn bedoeling om de hele discussie weer aan te zwengelen, en zeker niet in deze draad. Als je het verstandig vindt B12 te (door je kinderen laten) slikken dan ben ik de eerste die opkomt voor jouw recht om dat te doen. Maar laat ons niet-slikkers a.j.b. in onze waarde.

Plaats reactie